Saturday, June 4, 2011

Late Night Thoughts

Sometimes I fancied myself a little bit of a detective.
It was interesting, in the time of the internet, and online profiles and comments, how much you could really find out about somebody. Or at least, think you found out about somebody.
There were things you could discover, and me, I liked to try and put together the pieces. Sometimes I would spend hours sifting through pictures, comments, posts, sites, trying to sort out the details. This sounded a little stalker-ish, but, if people didn't want me to know about them, they should just take this stuff off the internet.
And sometimes, when you had all the pieces, you could make fantastic discoveries.
Or not so fantastic discoveries.
In the past, I had discovered the following details via facebook only:
1. Someone I knew had untagged themselves in pictures of an embarrassing nature. Namely, a "chicken and porn" party.
2. One of my ex-boyfriends had made out with a girl I knew. (photo evidence, y'all. Untagged.)
3. I was helping someone cheat on somebody else. (the details were just too coincidental to be chance.)
It was also interesting how much you could find out about someone's past via a simple google search.
And every once in a while, the pieces might suprise you.
I was however, several pieces short of the puzzle. I only had fragments of what I thought. As I sat here writing this, I had a feeling someone would read it and someone would choose to keep it to themselves, in a sort of fuzzy silence. Understanding and comprehending my thoughts, but allowing no such courtesy of their own.
That was kind of like my puzzle pieces, in a way. Except sometimes, (and notice only sometimes) my thoughts were a little more clear and a little less foggy than a collection of pictures and comments. I was working on the less foggy bit, but as we all well know, I like metaphors and I like fogginess, and I like to disguise.
A few audible "chinks" were heard falling into place in my head. I understood a few things and merely guessed at others. Things aren't always what they seem.
As the self-doubt began slowly churn in my head, it promised to gather speed. Like a train grinding slowly, trying mightily to pull it's weight, I knew soon it would leave the station and approach speeds mortal legs could not catch.
The grind was threatening, and I fed it. I delved deeply into a world I wish I knew more of. A world I only guessed at. Puzzle pieces on the floor, I couldn't see the picture. Guessing would disappoint me, but I guessed at it anyway. Always a puzzle.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you don't know who I am, because we only met briefly once a couple years ago at an ASB table. But one of my ex-boyfriends introduced you to me, so that's why I remember the short meeting. I just happened to come across your blog because you tagged my friend Patrick in some photos on facebook. It's true, it's weird what you come across on the internet when you aren't even looking.

    You said here that you found out you were helping someone cheat on someone else. Well, the same thing happened to me with the guy you used to date. I met him through ASB, and then we dated for a few months. Turns out he neglected to tell me he had a girlfriend back in his hometown. Or actually, he told me he had a girlfriend before ASB and they broke up the day he got home. So he didn't just conceal the truth, he actively lied to me. He actually admitted it to me instead of me discovering it, but only after I happened to send him a text message while he was hanging out with her and he got caught. I'm not sure if he's the one who did this to you, too, but I sure hope you got through it OK either way. I know it was a damn rough experience for me. It makes me sad thinking about it, and it's been five years now!

    I know getting this comment from a random girl is weird, but I couldn't not say anything after reading this blog post. And maybe it was a completely different guy, but I suspect it wasn't. I hope things are well with you now, and that you're with someone who treats you better and doesn't lie. I hope you at least learned what I did... that even the nicest seeming people aren't always what they seem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like we had an unfortunately similar experience, and yes, with the same person.

    The good thing is I got out ok. It took more than two years, and a lot of back and forth before I could finally get on with life without him. It makes me a little sick, and very sad, that the experience was so similar. I have no idea if he cheated when we were actually together, but then, I'll never know, because yes, he actively lied to me as well. We weren't technically together at that point, so I played it off. I couldn't seem to get away from him, even after we broke up. And as Patrick will atest, it was messy and terrible. In fact, I've been told by a close friend of this ex we have in common that he is a great friend but a terrible lover. Hits the nail on the head, don't you think?

    I'm actually really glad you posted, however random, because it validates a lot of feelings about the situation that I had and continue to have. There was a stage of blaming myself, which I'm sure most people can relate to. Patrick is a really good friend of mine, and I met both my ex boyfriend and Patrick through ASB. Funny little old world, isn't it?

    I'm glad to know someone is out there reading, however random and thanks so much for everything you said. I am dating somebody else now, and undoubtedly much healthier (at least, for the most part) than I was then. I can't tell you the pain and anguish I suffered over him. But anyway. That is the past. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete