Sunday, January 22, 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know

It's interesting how a piece of music can elicit such powerful emotions.
Something about the words and the music--they twist together in interlocking pieces, making something that is so beautifully intense. Only someone who had really lived out this situation could write those words, say it was such intense emotion and pain. Something inside of me identified with the song, as I imagine most people could. Although we always see ourselves as the correct and right, it seems most people have suffered a relationship with someone that pulled us to pieces. Playing back the memories only instills more of a bitterness, and although maybe parting was the best decision, we have trouble ignoring the intensity of our emotions. How much we cared. Perhaps that's why it becomes so messy. There's so much involved in a relationship, that instead of parting ways calmly, we feel so much pain, and all we can do is walk away and try to put ourselves back together. It went too far, we felt too strongly, that breaking it off was painful although the correct decision.
We can't ignore that they were ever a part of our life, but we have to try to forget to move on. I'll admit it's happened to me, and I've done it to at least one other person. It's hard to acknowledge that maybe you've caused someone similar pain that we once endured ourselves.
People hurt each other.


Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad that it was over



~ Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye

No comments:

Post a Comment