Monday, September 16, 2013

Someday

I found myself to be a little lonely. Barely breaking the edge of a month, I still felt far away. From everywhere, everything, everyone.
So many things in life come down to chance, really. People might tell you that if you work hard, become confident, do the things you are supposed to, blah blah blah...you'll achieve everything you want. And sure. You'll achieve A LOT that way. But what you'll achieve is entirely up for grabs.
Sometimes when single girls complain to me about how they don't have a boyfriend, how they'll never have a boyfriend, how it will never happen for them, I don't know what to say. I was that girl once. Even when I had had boyfriends but was single I was that way. I went from hope to prospect to failure over and over again. I can't tell you a magical formula that gets you a boyfriend. There just isn't one. Some people have lots of significant others, some have few. Some people go on lots of dates to get to that point, some go on few. Some people meet at school, some people meet at a party. And whenever you think someone will be perfect for you before you ask them out, you will always be disappointed.
At least everything else in our life has some degree of control involved. You can work hard to get a good job. You can be nice to get friends.
But in the end, you never know where your life is going to go. You can have a plan, but sure enough your map will fly out of your hands and out the car window. Buy a new map. Make a new map. Go without one. Whatever will get you there.
Just don't expect it to go the way you want or planned. So many places in life have a juncture. A way we could have done something different. Or someone else could have touched our lives. And you never know what fork that will be. Or if it will even matter.

"Promises, they break before they're made."

~ Someday by the Strokes

No comments:

Post a Comment