Sunday, June 9, 2013

Interesting

Does anyone care what I think? I know I can be a little bit melodramatic. I witnessed it in my blog. Maybe I'm plagued with the sickness of our generation--that people care what you think and what you do, sometimes every second of every day. We are stuck on this idea that we are important enough to be paid attention to. That because we have a vehicle for our expression and every thought that we should be and are listened to. Post after post, status after status, tweet after tweet, pic after pic. This is what we are. I thought maybe I was a little above this, but I'm not. I'm affected with the same disease. I'm compelled to tell you who I am and what I think, no matter how shallow, how melodramatic, how plain.
Take that as your warning for all that has come and all that follows.
I have a type. It's sometimes more astonishing to me than it should be. I date people who are in general pretty shy. I date people (not consciously) that have a strong financial background. I date people who care about the environment. I date people that are skinny. I date people who are, in general, considered liberal. I date people who listen to Dave Matthews.
Why does this matter?
Because whether I decided to set these standards or not, that's how the chips fell. I selected these men for a reason. Or rather, maybe it wasn't really the selection at all. Maybe it was the lasting coefficient. There must be some statistical probability for how long things will last based on what is important to you, whether you know it or not. And whether you decide to or not, the length of relationships is determined by these factors. That is where type makes an entrance. Why do people date people that are similar to other people they have dated? Because there are certain factors, conscious or unconscious, that determine whether or not the relationship will last. Is Dave Matthews related? Well...probably not. But maybe there is a correlation between men who like Dave Matthews and men who purchase solar panels. I'm not sure.
But then, if you have a type, not all relationships last. Otherwise you wouldn't have a type because you would date the same person forever. Never breaking up because of these factors. Maybe there's more unseen and unconscious factors that bind you to others. Or maybe you just have to get lucky. It's hard to believe, however, that's there is so much coincidence. And if this is true, maybe women who have bad relationship after bad relationship have some sort of coefficient that has a factor correlated with really rotten men. Or vice versa men with really terrible women. Who knows? The possibilities are endless. Are relationships, at their core, a science? What does that say about "true love"?
I don't know. But I do know that I have a type. Does that invalidate any relationship I have? Of course not. I'm lucky to have met someone vegetarian, liberal, Dave Matthews listening, skinny, shy, financially responsible, active, and book reading. Was it easy to end up with him? Yes and no. I got lucky. But, I also followed a pattern. I don't think that diminishes what we have at all. There has to be a special factor (or maybe just some patience on both sides) to make it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment