Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kismet

Sometimes the best you can do is listen.
Because maybe one day, if you are lucky, or the stars align, or coincidence strikes you, whatever it takes, you will be in the right moment, at the right time, to hear the right thing.
Sometimes it makes all the difference.
It is important to know when to push, and when to just let it happen. There were times I knew someone was not ready to approach a subject with me. Like for example, their father's impropriety or the untimely death of a loved one. I knew the explanation would come, if I waited and if they wanted me to know. In the meantime, life could go on.
That book, the book was an offering of peace, an olive branch if you will. It was the opening of another door in our lives of constant familial silence. I had known, very early, something in her life was going on--but we weren't allowed to ask. And then, suddenly, the flood gates opened. I met the long lost family, and found another little bit of home.
It was the most beautiful emotion I have ever experienced.
Shedding the most joyous tears I could imagine, I hoped I would never lose them.
A wedge was in the door, I was in. I am not sure if my brothers would ever find the wedge, maybe later in life. But I had known. I was in the right place, at the right time, and ready to listen. And the pieces of our family came together a little bit.
All I could do was hope for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment